Deprived of work due to COVID, prisoner surrendered after 30 years of beach life in the forest-CBS News

2021-12-14 11:05:56 By : Mr. Gang Liu

CANBERRA, Australia-Police said on Wednesday that a 64-year-old fugitive walked into the Sydney Police Station to surrender after using a hacksaw blade and bolt cutters for nearly 30 years to escape from prison. According to media reports, Darko Desic decided to return to prison because the COVID-19 lockdown in Sydney made him unemployed and homeless. The police statement stated that Dee Why surrendered at the Dee Why Police Station in Sydney’s trendy North Beach on Sunday morning and was refused bail when he appeared in the downtown court on Tuesday. He was accused of escaping legal detention in 1992. The charge could be sentenced to seven years in prison.

Police sources who asked not to be named told the Sydney Daily Telegraph and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that the blockade in Sydney began in June, which caused Desik to lose his cash job as a laborer and handyman.

"Saturday night, he slept on the beach and said:'Push it in and I will go back to the prison, where there is my roof,'" a source told the newspaper. Desic was only 35 years old when he escaped from a century-old prison in Grafton, 390 miles north of Sydney, on the night of July 31 to August 1, 1992. Police said he used tools such as hacksaw blades and bolt cutters to cut through the window railings and fences of his cell. He was sentenced to three and a half years in prison for growing marijuana and served 13 months in prison. According to reports, Desik was born in the former Yugoslavia. He told the police that he ran away because he thought he would be deported once he served his sentence. He feared that he would be punished for failing to complete his compulsory military service in his home country, which was later divided into several countries. It is unclear to which country he will be deported. He is not an Australian citizen. The newspaper stated that immigration officials gave up looking for him and granted him residency in Australia in 2008. Desik told the police that he had been at large on the beach in the suburb of Avalon, north of Sydney. According to the report, he had never attracted the attention of the police during that time. Desik kept a low profile, but was mentioned in "Australia’s Most Wanted", a real crime TV show that lasted until 1999, after someone reported seeing him in Nora, 120 miles south of Sydney. he.

Breaking news and analysis Download the free CBS news app

First released on September 15, 2021 / 4:45 AM

© 2021 Associated Press. all rights reserved. Do not publish, disseminate, adapt or redistribute this material.

Copyright © 2021 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.